Plastic Free July is a global movement that helps millions of people around the world end plastic waste. We invite you to use our toolkit of resources, curated to help people share the challenge in their communities and networks to amplify impact together. Get the toolkit of resources >
Help end plastic waste
Turn the tide, one choice at a time. Every bit helps. Together, hundreds of millions of people are choosing to refuse single-use plastics by switching to durable reusable items, avoiding packaging and reducing waste, stopping around 300 million kg of plastic polluting the world each year.
We know this groundswell of action is influencing corporate behaviour, regulation and government legislation at a global level. Together, we are a stronger force to turn the tide on plastic pollution.
Be part of Plastic Free July and share with your network to help grow the movement and end plastic waste, one choice at a time.
How we make change
We share plastic free solutions with people and organisations, so we can all take action to end plastic waste. By utilising behaviour change best practices we then apply these principles to our campaign and resources to help people and organisations maximise their impact.
Signing up to the Plastic Free July challenge is the easiest way to help people:
- discover the plastic free solutions that suit them
- be counted alongside the millions of people who are making a difference
- contribute to the global success of Plastic Free July
Sharing ideas and solutions
Social surveys show us that people want to do “what others do”. According to Behavioural Economist Colin Ashton-Graham “Making change as a community can create new social norms and start to disrupt our culture of convenience”. That’s why we share images, stories and solutions from around the world of people and organisations choosing to refuse single-use plastic.
We invite you to tag @PlasticFreeJuly on social media and use the hashtag #PlasticFreeJuly so we can re-share stories of change from your community. Alternatively please share your plastic free success stories directly which can inspire and empower others.
Content that works the best:
- People, happy, candid and natural.
- Activity, showing solutions.
- Straightforward, no confusion about what is happening.
- Clear message. E.g. someone holding a sign with writing.
- Diversity, people and places from all over the world.
- Awesome ideas. E.g. photo/video of mug library
Content that doesn’t work well:
- Overly staged, unnatural looking.
- Product promotion, advertisement.
- Framed or rounded images, collages, watermarks.
- Scenes with no people or activity. E.g. photo/video of landscape
- Too much of the problem without solutions.
Toolkit resources for changemakers
Plastic Free July inspires me to step up my commitment to reducing single-use plastic in my daily life and on tour.